Tuesday, October 29, 2013

zhōngguó - china

Today was black and orange day at school it was also the day the board of education came! This was a big day because the board of education was watching everything we did. The Chinese coordinators were beyond stressed. They had everything planned to the T. They told us we could only sing 3 songs during opening and we could only sing Old McDonald, BINGO and Wheels on the Bus. We also had to play "What time is it Mr. Wolf?" with the kids during opening. We normally don't play a game with them during opening. I must say the school I go to is well known for being one of the best schools around, but it also really bugs me when my school acts hypocritical about certain things. Today was a perfect example. They made us plan every little detail out and add things to our routine which we normally don't do! Another hypocritical example is the way my Chinese teachers sometimes act. Every Wednesday we are videoed while we teach so the parents can see us teach their children. During the time we are being videoed the Chinese teachers are these super strict teachers that are on top of every misbehaving child. Once the camera isn't rolling though they are so much more relaxed about the kids misbehaving. I got on a big tangent about that, but it has been bugging me lately. Thankfully my lesson went quite well! I had to teach drama today about the book Dinofours. I had never heard of the book, but because it was the "special" day our Chinese coordinators practically gave us no choice for what we would teach. The kids loved all the funny props I brought and participated well in my lesson! After teaching was over we had Chinese class and had to start decorating the haunted house for the Halloween party on Thursday. We barely got anything completed before we had to leave, so tomorrow we will probably decorating all day long...

No comments:

Post a Comment