Sunday, November 17, 2013

Last Thursday we left for vacation to Zhangjiajie! After school Ali, Nikki, Holly, Ashlee and I immediately headed to the train station even though our train didn't leave until 8pm. Due to the bad luck we have had on vacations in the past we wanted to make sure we wouldn't miss our train! We got to the train station successfully 5 hours before we were actually supposed to leave, so we chilled in a smelly, dirty and packed KFC. We talked for hours asking each other random questions. A few hours later the rest of our group meet up with us and we made it on the train. Thankfully I got a sleeper for the train ride. Immediately as I laid down on the hard bed that was to short for me I fell asleep! It was a 14 hour train ride that was exceptionally better than the previous train rides I have been on just because I was in the horizontal position. 

We arrived in Zhangjiajie around 9 in the morning and made our way to McDonald's for breakfast. After breakfast we found our hostel and rested for a few minutes. Ali and I got the "honeymoon suite" but it was an older version of one because it had two beds. We definetly had the most comfortable beds. We actually had a mattress...everyone else slept on a plank of wood with a sheet.

After we had rested for a little bit we made our way to the National Park in Zhangjiajie that has the walk of faith. It was the craziest thing because while we were in the city we couldn't even see any mountains around us. China is so hazy and when its rainy its even more foggy! We took the world's longest cable car ride from the middle of the city to top of these hidden mountains. It was a 35 minute ride and it was gorgeous. Along the way we saw the world's windiest rode! Once we made it to the top we began our hike to the walk of faith. It was a very pretty hike, but it was hard to capture the beauty with pictures because it was still very foggy at the top of the mountains. As I got closer to the walk of faith and saw the ledge of glass I got a little nervous. However, while I was walking on the glass I was fine. It was a pretty short walk but it was a fun experience! After the walk of faith there were a lot of red flags that were tied to the trees. We were a little concerned as we noticed all the red flags and made the joke that each flag represented someone who died on the walk of faith. A little later we read that each of the flags have prayers have blessings written on them. We bought a red flag and signed our names on it with a message. I wrote my quote "You think you love your life? I love my life!" Ever since I said that in Yangshou people always bring it up and say it needs to be my life quote. Afterwards we hiked for awhile until we found the perfect place for our flag! I want to back in a few years to see if it is still there. We continued hiking around the national park until we found some temples and decided to explore them. It was interesting to see all the different idols in each temple and the many inscents they would burn. We headed back and went exploring for food. Oddly enough the city had very little options for food, so we eat at a restaurant near our hostel and got some fried rice. Typical us. Later that night Ali and I had some deep conversations and I was able to really bond with her in our honeymoon suite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment